A+ | A- | Home Page | Sitemap--> | Other Languages | Search:

International Medical Graduates

To be eligible for medical licensing in the Northwest Territories, you must have an unrestricted Canadian medical licence, or be eligible to obtain an unrestricted licence in another Canadian jurisdiction.  Because the NWT does not have a College of Physicians and Surgeons, we are unable to grant any sort of restricted or provisional licence.

If you completed medical training outside of Canada, the requirements for licensing in a province will include:
  • Completion of the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Exams (MCCEE)
  • Completion of Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC I and II) - www.mcc.ca
  • Completion of a 2 year family medicine residency or proof of eligibility from the College of Family Physicians of Canada - www.cfpc.ca
  • Membership of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and provincial licensing if the physician practices a specialty. - www.rcpsc.medical.org

If you require additional information regarding licensing, please contact:

Office of the Registrar, Professional Licensing
Department of Health and Social Services
5015-49th Street / NGB-7th Floor
P.O. Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT    X1A 2L9
Phone: (867) 767-9053 Ext. 49052
Fax: (867) 873-0484
Email: professional_licensing@gov.nt.ca

Once you have confirmed your ability to practice in the Northwest Territories, please contact:

Practitioner Affairs Office
Government of the Northwest Territories
Email: NWTphysicians@gov.nt.ca